Some Computer Tips.
Hey friends, I’ve said many things about me but now it’s time to share some of my knowledge with you. I have found many people finding trouble in their PC’s even after getting appropriate hardware. So I’m extending my help for them. See below for some very effective tips & tricks and make your computing a breeze.
1. Keep your system’s memory (RAM) higher than recommended. If recommendation is 256 MB then install either 512 MB RAM alone or an additional 128 MB RAM alongwith 256 MB. Keep in mind that having a good video-card & great CPU will not enhance the performance. RAM is needed to hold data currently in use & not the CPU. But if you are interested in multimedia then all the 3 things come into play. Make sure your your video card has enough memory (mine has 64 MB internal memory). Choose A PC with 128 or more MB memory video-card (if you are purchasing a new PC). Never choose a New PC with Highest Configuration. You can upgrade it”later “at a much lower price. I’m telling this because of my own experience! Click Start button->Run. Type “dxdiag” without quotes. It’ll bring up DirectX Diagnostic Tool window. Click “Display” Tab to check your Video Memory.
2. Don’t install too many programs. They not only occupy more Hard drive space but also require more memory & CPU power. Uninstall any program that you don’t use at all.
3. Keep Desktop tidy. Remove icons for programs you don’t use too often. It will recover some memory. You can always access those programs from Start->All programs.
4. Keep track on applications that “fire-up” automatically at “start-up”. These include Anti-virus programs, Yahoo messenger (or any other similar IM applications), Audio/graphics driver applications & many other. It delays system start-up & takes longer time to load all these applications in memory. It also puts burden on RAM. So Disable any application you don’t want to start automatically at start-up. Here’s how to do it.
Click Start->Run->type in “msconfig” without quotes. A window will appear. Under “Startup” tab, clear checkboxes of programs you don’t wanna use at startup. Click “apply”. Choose whether you wanna restart PC then or not. At next start-up, a dialogue box will appear. Clear the checkbox of that. That’s it. You are done.
5. Always DEFRAGMENT your drive(s) containing Operating system(s). You must be knowing how to do this. Simply right click any drive->click Properties->Under Tools tab->click Defragment Now. Select drive you want to defragment and click Defragment. However first Analyse it, if it says then only defragment it. There are many programs other than Windows defragmenter available for this work. You can try “AusLogics Disk Defrag” a free & nice defragmenting software for defragmenting your hard drive. Now why do we need to defragment? Simply to reduce data access time & increase performance. It also keeps boot files at suitable place on your Hard disk. This increases system’s speed. So immediately Defragment all your partitions & do it once a week.
6. Keep enough free space on system drive (holding Operating system or OS). It will improve performance of system. Always delete unneccessary files. Don’t put too much burden on your system drive. Always check your drives using windows Checkdisk (Right click any drive->Properties->Tools tab->Check Now) for errors.
7. If you don’t want to use windows themes or you prefer performance to appearance, then simply choose the Windows Classic theme. It will greatly relieve system memory. Rigt click empty area of Desktop->Properties->Themes tab->select Windows Classic theme->Apply.
8. Avoid visual-rich themes even if your system has minimum theme requirements, because you have other tasks also besides these themes. If you are a professional Graphic or multimedia editor/designer/freak, then you need to keep your system memory & other resources maximum. Or change the hardware as described above if you’re a music/game/movie freak + You want your Windows look beautiful & eye-popping.
9. Try installing software like Advanced System Optimizer, TuneUp or anything like those. They help delete unneccessary files, free RAM, correct Registry entries, defragment hard drive, check hard drive, undelete essential files, adjust overall configuration & so on. So use one & keep system safe & fast.
10. All of us have faced a common problem that our PC gets hanged during our work. We try to do many things but nothing works. We have to press restart button & lose all our work. Imagine you are creating document for project-file for School & you have not saved your work. Suddenly your PC stops responding & you have to restart your PC. All that hard work vanished no! Here’s a trick to save all your precious work during system hang.
Whenever this situation occurs, press ctrl+alt+delete together. It’ll open Task manager. Under “Processes” tab, select EXPLORER.EXE from Image Name field & press “End Process” Button. All your desktop will go blank after a few seconds. Wait for 1 minute & then click “File->New Task->type explorer->press Enter key”. That’s it, all your previous work will resume after some time & you can continue with that work. Great no! Try this to get relief from irritating Hangs.
11. If you don’t want to update your computer from internet, disable Automatic Updates. This causes a lot of burden in your Net-surfing & reduces data bandwidth. Means it slows down the Net speed. So how to do this?
Go to Control Panel->Security Center->Manage Security settings for->click Automatic Updates & then choose Turn Off Autumatic Updates. Click Apply.
So these are several tips to keep your PC tidy, fast & reliable. Send comments if you are facing different problems with PC’s alongwith these informations: Actual problem, CPU speed, RAM in MB’s, Free hard disk space, Video card, Monitor size & resolution & overall system’s model, make & year of purchasing/manufacturing. Till then GOOD BYE!